Because you are at the University of Oklahoma to earn a degree, we want to do everything possible to help you achieve this goal. Please view the following information on the graduation process within the College of Arts & Sciences.
Arts and Sciences students must be advised every semester. This is the first step in assuring your graduation. Your academic advisors are here to assist you in planning a schedule that follows your major requirements. Arts and Sciences majors are advised each semester in their appropriate department. The Hobson Academic Services counselors are here for questions the departmental counselors do not answer, and especially for help when you get close to graduating.
- Degree Check
Once you are 1-2 semesters away from graduation you should schedule an appointment for a degree check with the Hobson Academic Services office at (405) 325-4411. During this appointment, your academic counselor will go over what courses you still have left to complete your degree, discuss any minors you might be working toward, etc. You should have a degree check, at the latest, the semester before you graduate. It is in your best interest to schedule the appointment as soon as you earn 90 hours or as close to that as possible.
- Degree Check Updates
Once you have had a degree check, you may come at any point during the semester for a Degree Check Update. Updates are done by appointment during which your counselor will go over your remaining requirements again and answer any questions you may have. To make an appointment, visit iAdvise.
- Graduation Application
You must file a graduation application to graduate. You do this during your last semester at OU. The graduation application is a form you complete electronically in OZONE under the academics tab. It tells us that you are graduating and also allows us to make certain you are enrolled in what you need to graduate.
The deadlines are as follows:
- If your last class will be during the spring semester, the deadline is February 15th.
- If your last class will be during the summer semester, the deadline is June 1st.
- If your last class will be during the fall semester, the deadline is September 15th.
- If your last class is during December intersession you should apply by the fall deadline.
Graduation applications are good for three semesters.
Transcripts, Incompletes, and Correspondence Grades
To be certified for graduation, you must have all degree work submitted to the Office of Admissions by the deadline specified on the academic calendar. This includes transcripts for transfer work, Incompletes, and Correspondence Course grades. There are no exceptions to this University of Oklahoma policy. Failure to meet this deadline will delay your graduation until a subsequent semester when you have supplied all records to the Office of Admissions.
Special Degree Designations
Students who graduate with special degree designation such as those listed below are allowed to wear a special satin hood with their cap and gown during the Commencement ceremonies. The special degree designation will appear on a student's transcript and diploma. If a student qualifies for both the Distinction and Honors degree, the Honors degree takes precedence.
- With Distinction - Students who graduate from the College of Arts and Sciences who do not qualify for an Honors degree may be graduated With Distinction if they have completed a minimum of 60 hours in OU residence. They must achieve at least a 3.60 Combined Retention GPA and a 3.60 in all OU course work.
- With Special Distinction - Students who graduate from the College of Arts and Sciences who do not qualify for an Honors degree may be graduated With Special Distinction if they have completed a minimum of 60 hours in OU residence. They must achieve at least a 3.90 Combined Retention GPA and a 3.90 in all OU course work.
- Honors (cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude) - Please see the Honors College for information on how to graduate with these designations.