Undergraduate Student FAQs
- If you are an HES minor, and MDS major or other non-HES major looking for HES course overrides, the HES policy requires all non-majors to receive instructor permission into HES CORE courses. Additionally, non-major enrollment is restricted until one month after the junior enrollment window opens. At that time, if there is seat availability, you may email the HES instructor for permission. If you are granted permission forward the email to Megan Denney (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kati Miller (email@example.com) and they will give you the necessary permissions to enroll in the course.
- You can apply to the HES program twice during the academic year. The fall deadline is September 30 and the spring deadline is January 30. More information about applying to the HES program, including HES prerequisite courses, can be found here.
- HES upper-division electives may be taken before a student is admitted into the HES program.
- You cannot take any of the following HES courses until you have been accepted into the HES major: 3513, 3563, 3813, 3823, 3853, 4503, 4573, 4833 or 4953.
- The OU Academic Calendar can be found here.
- If you want permission to take a non-HES course, please contact the department offering the course (i.e., PSY 2003 contact the Psychology Department).
- An upper-division elective is any 3000 or 4000 level course. If you do not need to fulfill a specific requirement (i.e., NWC) start with a subject you like and move from there. Your classmates may also be a good resource for course suggestions.
- You can search for general education courses (i.e., AF, NWC or WC) easily at http://classnav.ou.edu
- HES uses the ‘Waitlist’ for all closed courses. If you do not meet the course prerequisite requirements you will not be able to add yourself to the waitlist.
If you were advised into any beginning level language other than CREK, CHOC, CHER or KIOW and you did not take the language in high school of if it has been more than five years since you took the language in high school, there is an online form you can complete to be given permission to take the beginning level language course. If it has been less than five years since you took the language you will need to take an assessment test in the Language Learning Center located in Kaufman Hall, Rm. 202. For more information, visit the Language Learning Center's website.
- The HES department is located in the west wing of the S.J. Sarkeys Complex, Rm. 104. The department address is 1401 Asp Ave. Norman, OK 73019
- Students wishing to change their major to Pre-HES can do so by visiting the College of Arts and Sciences (Ellison Hall, Rm. 124).
- Questions regarding career resources, careers in HES can be directed to professional contacts, Career Services or a students assigned HES faculty mentor.