The College of Arts & Sciences employs a two-tiered advising system for students: advising services are available through professional and faculty departmental advisers located in their major, and college counselors are available in the College of Arts and Sciences Hobson Academic Services office. The specific roles of departmental advisors and college counselors are listed below.
- If you are a new transfer student or a student who has been readmitted to the university, schedule an advising appointment with our office at 325-4411
- Schedule a Degree Check on iAdvise, if you have reached 90 hours or more
- We are the only advising office in the College that can clear a student for graduation
- Our counselors are knowledgeable about college degree programs
- We can also assist with major choice
- We can help resolve academic and graduation issues
- We can help determine how evaluated transfer work will apply toward General Education requirements
Counselors by Major
- Conduct semester-to-semester advising
Lift advising holds
Provide in-depth information about the discipline, course, instructors and departmental opportunities
Provide information on career possibilities and grad school opportunities
Students are required to be advised prior to each enrollment period by the faculty or professional advisor in their major department.
*New transfer students and students readmitted to the university will meet with their college counselor during their first semester to receive advisement and general degree and university information. They will be advised by their departmental advisors during subsequent semesters.
The College of Arts and Sciences encourages students to study abroad to increase their understanding of the world and to prepare themselves to live in the global community of the 21st century. OU has study abroad programming in more than 50 countries and 100 cities. Semester and year-long options are available in both English- and non-English-speaking countries through the main Education Abroad Office on campus. OU students participating in reciprocal exchange programs pay tuition at OU and may use OU scholarships and financial aid to cover costs. The College of Arts and Sciences also runs summer faculty-led programs in a variety of locations every year, with coursework taught in English. For more information, contact College of Arts and Sciences International Programs, 332 Ellison Hall, University of Oklahoma, 73019-3061, (405) 325-4716, or Education Abroad, 223 Old Science Hall, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 73019-3061, (405) 325-1693.