Sign up today
What is HESSA?
HESSA, Heath and Exercise Science Student Association, is a student organization in the Department of Health and Exercise Science made up of undergraduate and graduate students. Each year HESSA plans activities that help support our Major (HES and Pre-HES) and Graduate students, and foster relationships across the department (faculty, staff, students).
What are the benefits of joining HESSA?
Joining HESSA will allow you to get to know professors in this department in a less formal setting. Joining is also a good way to meet other people with similar interests. HESSA will introduce you to new professional contacts, thus helping you to form a network that will be useful throughout your time at OU, as well as into your future career.
How Can I Join?
Membership fees are $20 per year or $15 per semester. You can join HESSA online during the fall and/or spring semesters or you can fill out a membership form and submit it with payment at the HES front desk.
Click here for online membership form
HESSA Membership Form (PDF)
What does HESSA do?
• Sponsors career / graduate panel discussions each year providing opportunities for professional guest speakers to share information about their training and experiences.
• Provides opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to implement the HES academic theories they have learned by organizing, promoting and running special activities and events.
• Promotes social activities that engage all members of the HES community (faculty, staff, students) and help foster positive interaction among those community members.
Here are some activities that have been planned in past years:
- Sooner Spring Tune Up 10K Race
- Thunder and Baron's group events
- Career Night
- Guest speakers from various professional settings during monthly meetings
- Bowling nights
- Holiday parties
- Bake sales
- The Big Event, Relay for Life and other University sponsored events
HESSA Benefits You! Your yearly membership supports activities that benefit the department throughout the entire year. Your membership dues fund our departmental Convocation reception for December / May graduates and their guests. Our funds also support your participation in and fees to attend special events and social activities. As a member, you will receive a free meal and/or snacks during each of our meeting times, as
well as a discount on your HESSA shirt should you choose to purchase one. Become a member and receive all of these cool benefits.
The purpose of the HES Student Association (HESSA) is to provide an environment whereby undergraduate and graduate students can interact with HES faculty members and other departmental staff on both social and professional levels in such a way as to enhance the cohesiveness and effectiveness of the Health and Exercise Science Department.